Thursday, August 9, 2007

Self "Greif-ification"

Something crossed my mind today. I found it both interesting, disturbing, and enlightening (did I spell that right?). It was during work when a discussion came up about who had it the worst. Luckily, I happened to be in the clear as far as bad things going for me, so I was able to stay out of the conversation and simply obvserve.

One cook (I work in a resturaunt) was complaining (WOAH!!! My computer moniter just flashed really bright and it hurt my eyes!!!) that he hadn't had a day off in 2 weeks and was very tired. My lead (a low key supervisor) countered with the fact that she was down to 450 white blood cells, meaning she had no immune system, and that if she cut herself she could die. Another Lead and his brother's (who actually IS a supervisor) mother died last thursday, and they are gone for a few weeks because of it. This left us short handed, so naturally we are all working overtime.

During the course of this conversation (argument) I noticed one thing, and thought several. The thing noticed was this:

Everyone wants sympathy. Naturaully this is specific, and I could have simply said that everyone wants attention, but that word sounds too childish.

Then I thought to myself "This is all a matter of perspective. Everyone has trials and struggles and hardships, and in everyone's eyes, theirs is the worst." If you sat everyone down, and asked them what the hardest time of there life was, and to rate that on a scale from one to ten, I garuntee that everyone would come up with something they could classify as a ten. One person might say he had a canker (did I spell that right?) sore the size of a golfball in his mouth for a month, and couldn't eat any salty or acidic foods. Someone else might say that their parents died when they were 10, and had to go to a foster home where they were abused. Now, from the outside those clearly were not both tens, but that's not even the point I am tryin to make. Forgive me for going off the subject.

The point I was making was that we all want that attention. That sympathy, that love. I saw in plain veiw in that moment that God exists. Now believe me I already knew this. I guess I should have said I saw proof. Ok, so in that moment I saw proof that God exists. One man who works with me doesn't believe in God or satan. He says they don't even exist. In this person I saw that longing for appreciation. That desire to be noticed and cared for. Sure he acts tough. He points out his hardships so that he can say he endured them. From countless times through this, I see now that what he is really asking for is some pity. Some sympathy. Recognition. Love.

That hole that we all have, or had. That hole that only Christ can fill. That vacancy which drives us to pursure relationships. That gift which God gave us, the one that He offered to us. His love, and sacrifice. This man at my work. I saw in him the desire to be loved. He openned up to me often about how people think he is a jerk. How people dislike him because of whatever traits he may posses. I saw in him the desire to be held, known, and cherished.

These are all things God offers to us. I felt sad for my co worker, yet excited to see that he desires this. This means that if I can find a way to show him what he showed me, that he may find love and satisfaction in Christ our Lord and Saviour.

That is all I have for now. I hope you were able to gain something from this. Even if you just sent up a prayer for someone then I've succeeded in making a difference. I know i had other things on this topic, but I think I lost them in that paragraph where I got off topic. I believe there was originally some way for me to tie those two ideas together, and the process of that would have released more of my thoughts. This however did not happened. You're probably happy though, because if I had remembered, this blog would be entirely too long to be entertaining.

No comments: